In April 2020, the Accelerated Renewable Energy Growth and Community Benefit Act was passed as part of the State’s 2020-21 budget. As part of this Act, a new section 94-C to the Executive Law was created, which established a streamlined review process for siting and permitting of renewable energy projects with a nameplate generating capacity of 25 megawatts (MW) or more. The Act creates a newly-established Office of Renewable Energy Siting (ORES), within the New York State Department of State, and replaces the siting and certification procedures set forth in Article 10 of the Public Service Law for renewable energy projects.
Article 10 remains in effect for those projects that have
- received a Certificate of Environmental Compatibility and Public Need;
- received an Article 10 application completeness determination and do not elect to transfer the application to the new 94-C process; or
- electric generating projects from non-renewable energy sources with a generating capacity of 25 MW or more.
The Public Information Coordinator is an office created within the Department which shall assist and advise interested parties and members of the public in participating in the siting and certification of major electric generating facilities. The duties of the public information coordinator shall include, but are not be limited to:
- implementing measures that assure full and adequate public participation in matters before the board;
- responding to inquiries from the public for information on how to participate in matters before the board;
- assisting the public in requesting records relating to matters before the board;
- ensuring all interested persons are provided with a reasonable opportunity to participate at public meetings relating to matters before the board;
- ensuring that all necessary or required documents are available for public access on the department's website; and
- any other duties as may be prescribed by the Board, after consultation with the Department.
Contact the Public Information Coordinator
- James Denn
NYS Department of Public Service
3 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12223
Email: [email protected]