Person standing helping seated person at laptop

Helpful Information About the Public Service Commission

Helpful Information About the Public Service Commission

About the PSC

The New York State Public Service Commission was established under State Public Service Law, Article 1, Section 4, and is responsible for regulating the state's electric, gas, steam, telecommunications, and water utilities, and overseeing the cable industry. The Commission is charged by law with setting rates and ensuring New York's utilities provide adequate service. In addition, the Commission exercises jurisdiction over the siting of major gas and electric transmission facilities and has responsibility for ensuring the safety of natural gas and liquid petroleum pipelines. 

What is the difference between the PSC and the Department of Public Service?

The New York State Department of Public Service is the staff arm of the Public Service Commission and has a broad mandate to ensure access to safe, reliable utility service at just and reasonable rates. 

Read more About Us, and Meet the Commissioners.

How a Major Rate Case Works

A rate case is the formal process used to determine the amounts to charge customers for electricity, natural gas, private water and steam service provided by regulated utilities. Rate cases are a primary instrument of government regulation of these industries. Read more about the Major Rate Case Process Overview.

How to File a Complaint About Utilities

First seek the assistance of your utility provider – they are required by law to assist you.

If you are unable to get a satisfactory resolution from your utility provider, then contact the Department’s Office of Consumer Services to file a complaint using any of the listed methods below.

Find the Complaint Form and further instructions about Filing a Complaint with DPS.

How to Find Information About Cases Before the Commission

The Department of Public Service uses the Document and Matter Management (DMM) system to manage cases and matters being handled by DPS. You can Search Commission Files in DMM and you can register for a DPS account to customize your settings. View DMM Help Topics to help you use and navigate DMM.

How to Comment and Receive Updates on Commission Cases

Members of the public can post comments on each case before the Public Service Commission within the Document and Matter Management system (DMM). You can also be notified and receive emails about cases and matters before the Public Service Commission by signing up to receive updates. You can sign up with your email address, or by using Subscription management within DMM. Read more about Posting Comments and Receiving Updates on Commission Cases.


Need Help?

If you have further questions for the Department of Public Service, please use the following contact information:

  • For Gas, Electric, Water, Phone & Cable TV Service/Billing Complaints, call the Helpline at 1-800-342-3377.
  • For issues unrelated to utility service complaints, call 518-474-7080 or email questions to [email protected].
  • Visit our Contact Us page for more ways to get in touch with DPS.