Laptop with woman's hands holding a cell phone

File a Complaint


Before Filing Your Complaint with the Department of Public Service:

  • First seek the assistance of your utility provider – they are required by law to assist you.
  • If you are unable to get a satisfactory resolution from your utility provider, then contact the Department’s Office of Consumer Services to file a complaint using any of the listed methods below.

Looking for Shared Meter Complaint Form? Please do not use the form below; see How to file a Shared Meter Complaint.

How to File a Complaint


File a new complaint

Update an existing complaint

Request the status of a case

Important Notice for Residential Electric and Gas Customers:
Please do not use the online complaint form if you received a final disconnection notice from your utility that your electric or gas service will be shut off within 72 hours. Call the Department of Public Service Emergency Hotline at 800-342-3355 on weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. for assistance.

Other ways to file a complaint


Toll Free Complaint Numbers:

General complaints and inquiries
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Monday - Friday)

Residential electric and gas shut-offs
7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Monday - Friday)

Consumers with hearing or speech impairment can contact the Department of Public Service through the NYS Relay Service by dialing 711.


Fax your complaints via fax to 518-472-8502.


Mail your complaint to one of our offices.

Office of Consumer Services
New York State Department of Public Service

In Person

Visit our office locations in person during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.


This guide explains the steps involved in filing a complaint with the New York State Department of Public Service about your regulated utility service.

Public Service Law Section 71

Public Service Law Section 71 - Addresses complaints related to the quality and price of gas and electricity.

A complaint submitted under this section requires a petition signed by 25 or more utility customers, or signed by a mayor, trustee of a village, town board of a town, chief executive of a county, or legislative body of a county in which a gas or electric corporation manufactures, transports, sells, or supplies gas or electricity or submitted on behalf of the New York State Department of State. Petitions must be filed with the Secretary to the Commission. Visit Filing Documents with the Secretary.